Saturday, December 27, 2008

Helpful Travel Tips

I'm travelling to Europe in April and I have experienced many unsolicited travel tips from my clients. I do appreciate that they're trying to help, but now I'm freaked out a little bit.
#1: "Make sure you wear your money belt. Almost everyone gets mugged." Really? Wow, I know several of my friends have been to Europe and have yet to encounter a mugger. I understand that tourists are pick-pocket targets, but I think "almost everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration.
#2: "Don't stay in hostels. Have you seen the movie Hostel?" There are many reasons I have not seen the movie Hostel. I choose not to see "R" movies and I tend to stay away from movies that show people getting tortured beyond our imaginations. I do, however, love that my clients go into graphic detail about what Hostel has to offer.
#3: "I hope you have enough money. Did you know that the dollar isn't worth as much as the Euro?" I can't believe I haven't thought of that. You mean I can't live in Europe for three weeks on $300.
Since this is my first trip overseas, let's try to make it positive advice. I'd like to know favorite places to visit, best way to travel between countries, activities I shouldn't miss, etc. I don't want to waste my trip peering over my shoulder assuming everyone's just waiting for the right moment to mug me, sleeping with one-eye-open, and begging for bread scraps to eat because I can't afford anything else.

4 comments:

etta said...

hahahaha oh clients are always good for advice you dont want, i love it

Marlyce said...

Well, I've never been to Europe, but my advice would be to continue shaving your pits. Some things are better left to the people that actually live in the country. Also, claim to be from Canada. I hear people are crazy about Americans. Have fun!

Logan said...

Man, I sure hope yours and Etta's clients don't read your blogs! lol kidding. You know I'd feel the exact same way!

tikichikadee said...

Advice: Never ever EVER wear a yellow shirt that says "I'm mental." You never know what could happen.

More Advice: Always always ALWAYS douse yourself with cologne in exhausting quantities just to fit in. 'when in Rome...' Literally.

Best Advce: Be good. And if you can't, make it good.